All T-Plates Get a Makeover
My Plates renewed and amended its contract with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) effective November 2014 to November 2019. While much stayed the same, the renewed contract brings about some changes to our program, including:
- The redesign of some plates, including T-Plates, to improve their legibility and reduce confusion regarding the license plate pattern.
- Simplification of our pricing structure.
- Removal of 10-year plate terms to be replaced by 1, 3 and 5-year term options.
The existing eight T-Plates have been redesigned as follows:
- Breast Cancer
We are also streamlining our pricing structure to make it easier for customers to choose the plate that is right for them. We will now simply be offering Background-Only Plates (with a state issued plate number) or Personalized Plates. Our new T-Plate pricing will be consistent with our other Personalized Plate pricing for 1, 3, and 5-year terms.
What Does This Mean For You?
- T-Plate customers may keep their existing plate and continue to renew their plate until the 7th anniversary date. At that time, the TxDMV will provide a no charge replacement plate using the updated new design.
- Alternatively, you may choose to move to the equivalent new design immediately, or at your next renewal date, at no cost beyond any statutory fees that may apply by visiting your local county tax assessor-collector office and requesting a no charge replacement.
- As a T-Plate customer you may also choose a different design, as you will now have
greater design choice/options for your plate message. Currently, there are only
eight T-plate design options. Beginning December 1, 2014, a T-Plate customer may
elect to restyle their plate message to one of more than 100 plate design options
for a $50 fee. Note: Plate selection will be limited to the number of alpha-numeric
characters that can fit on a specific plate design. Changing your design is called
restyling and can only be ordered through our customer service center. An example
of restyling a T-Plate is demonstrated below:
Possible restyle design options
For assistance in moving your personalized plate message to another My Plates specialty license plate or help with any questions you may have, please contact My Plates at 1-888-769-7528 Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to your email within one business day.