Every purchased plate message is reviewed by the TxDMV following the sale. Some messages will be declined after purchase. A purchased message deemed by the TxDMV at the time of their review as indecent, vulgar or derogatory or references illegal activity, among other reasons, will be declined. The full list of official decline criteria are:
- Criteria 1: Conflicts with a current or proposed regular plate numbering system
- Criteria 2A: Indecent
- Criteria 2B: A vulgarity
- Criteria 2C: Derogatory
- Criteria 2D: A reference to race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation whether derogatory or not.
- Criteria 2E: A reference to gangs, illegal activities, violence, implied threats of harm or expressions that in some manner condone or glorify violence, crime or unlawful conduct.
- Criteria 2F: A reference to illegal drugs, substances, the physiological state produced by such substances intoxication or expressions that in some manner condone or glorify such items or states.
- Criteria 2G: A representation of, or reference to law enforcement, military branches or governmental entities and titles or ranks.
- Criteria 2H: is deceptively similar to a military, restricted distribution, or other specialty plate.
- Criteria 3: The pattern is currently issued to another owner.
If your plate message is declined, you will be contacted by My Plates Customer Service within a few days of your purchase. You will have the opportunity to change to an acceptable message, appeal your declined message to the TxDMV or request a full refund.