Terms and Conditions
The My Plates website is owned by License Plates of Texas, LLC (DBA My Plates) and is © 2021 My Plates. All rights reserved.
The information, graphics, text and other content of this website are owned by My Plates, or its licensors, and are protected by US and international copyright law. The Website Terms state the terms of your permitted use of the My Plates website.
MY PLATES and the MY PLATES logo are trademarks of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.
Your use of this website is governed by My Plates' Website Terms. Your use of the Web Sales Facility is governed by My Plates' Sales Terms.
WEBSITE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Changes to the Website Terms
It is your responsibility to monitor amended Website Terms. All changes to the Website Terms are effective as of the date of posting on this Website.
Your Use of the Website
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, this Website is intended for use primarily by Texas residents. Residents of other states and jurisdictions may view this Website, subject to these Website Terms, but cannot use the Web Sales Facility at this time.
My Plates grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to view and display the information, graphics, text and other content of the Website (the "Content"), and to print or save copies of it, for your personal use in ordering or investigating the order of specialty license plates, but not for any other purpose. My Plates and its licensors reserve all other rights in the Content. Except as provided in the preceding sentence, you must not otherwise use, copy, reproduce, distribute, exploit, or modify any part of the Website without our written permission. For example, you must not (1) modify, reverse-engineer, decompile, disassemble, download (other than temporarily loading into your browser so that you can view Content) any Content, (2) enable automated, electronic, high-volume processes, such as but not limited to robots, spiders, data miners or scrapers, to collect data from the Website or for any other purpose, (3) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website or attempt to bypass any measure My Plates implements to prevent or restrict access to any portion of the Website, including but not limited to the Web Sales Facility (for example, use of any means to override exclusion of invalid, unavailable or impermissible alphanumeric combinations, to change specialty plate fees or specialty plate usage periods), or (4) cause any Content to be displayed on any other website, including but not limited to display using any framing techniques. You agree not to use any My Plates' names, trademarks and logos in any meta-tags or other "hidden text".
By using this site you agree that you will not use the Website for any purpose that is unlawful and that you will comply with all relevant laws and regulations. You also agree that you will not use the Website for any purpose that is prohibited by these Website Terms.
My Plates may terminate your access to this Website or any of the services made available through this Website at any time without notice. In this event, the Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability Section of the Website Terms will survive such termination, and all rights of My Plates granted herein are reserved.
While older versions may be functional, effective navigation of myplates.com requires the following:
Microsoft Windows 10
- Google Chrome (latest stable version)
- Firefox (latest stable version)
- Microsoft Edge (latest stable version; Chromium-based only)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
MacOS 10.12 and newer
- Google Chrome (latest stable version)
- Safari (latest stable version)
- *For best results, use the latest version of Google Chrome
Mobile Web Browser
- Android 5 and newer
- Google Chrome (latest stable version)
- iOS 10 and newer
- Google Chrome (latest stable version)
- Safari (latest stable version)
- Any supported browser that you choose to use must meet the following requirements:
- Cookies are enabled
- SSL security protocol of TLS version v1.1 or higher
Modifying the Services
My Plates may modify, suspend or discontinue the services available on the Website or any part of the Content of the Website, at any time without notice.
Using the Web Sales Facility
If you decide to order plates through this Website, you must agree to My Plates' Web Sales Facility Terms and Conditions (the "Sales Terms").
The Website may contain links to websites that are controlled by third parties and not by My Plates. My Plates is not responsible for the condition or content of those websites or for the services or materials they may make available. My Plates provides such links to you solely as a convenience. Inclusion of the links does not imply any endorsement or sponsorship of the linked website or its contents or services by My Plates. You access third party sites and use their products and services entirely at your own risk.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
My Plates provides this Website and its content on an "AS IS" basis. My Plates disclaims, and you agree that My Plates has no liability for any error, omission or defect in any information included in the Content or accessed through the Website. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, My Plates disclaims all implied warranties, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, title and non-infringement and fitness for a particular purpose. Without limiting the foregoing, My Plates makes no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, (1) as to the operation of the Website or any Content, (2) that your access to the Website will be uninterrupted or error-free, (3) as to the accuracy, reliability or currency of any information or other Content that you access through the Website, or (4) that the Website or the equipment used to make the Website available to you or any electronic communication My Plates may send you in connection with your use of the Website are and will be free of viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or other harmful matter. Under no circumstance will My Plates be liable for any damages that result from your use or inability to use this Website, including but not limited to liability for your reliance on information you obtain from this Website or that results from mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion of files or email, errors, defects, viruses, delays in operation or transmission, or any failure of performance, whether or not resulting from acts of God, communications failure, theft, destruction or unauthorized access to My Plates records, programs or services. You acknowledge that this paragraph applies to all information and other content available through or described on this Website.
My Plates will not be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages arising from your use of the Website or its Content, even if you have advised us of the possibility of such damages. You agree that the cumulative maximum liability My Plates may have relating to your use of the Website or its Content or to any transaction you enter into with My Plates using the Website is, at My Plates' option, (1) the amount that equals the amount, if any, that you paid My Plates for your use of this Website or for the transaction that resulted in such liability, or, (2) if applicable, re-performance of its services. Certain states' laws do not allow limitations on implied warranties or the exclusion of certain damages. If those laws apply to you, some or all of the disclaimers, exclusions and limitations may not apply, and you may have additional rights.
NOTE: the four preceding paragraphs apply to the responsibilities and liability of My Plates, and not to any responsibilities or liabilities of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, your County Tax Assessor-Collector, any other state or local governmental entity or to any other organization whose name or image is represented on this website.
This Website is created and controlled by My Plates in the state of Texas, U.S.A. The Website Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Texas, without giving effect to any principles of conflict of laws (other than the principle that permits the affected parties to select the state whose laws will govern their relationship). If any dispute or controversy arises between you and My Plates relating to the Website or any transaction between you and My Plates you agree to accept binding arbitration. Any dispute, controversy, claim or disagreement arising out of or relating to transactions between you and My Plates shall be resolved by binding arbitration pursuant to the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association and conducted in Austin, Travis County, Texas. It is understood that the parties waive any right to a jury trial. Judgment upon the award rendered by the Arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof.
WEB SALES FACILITY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Thank you for your interest in using My Plates' Web Sales Facility ("WSF") to obtain specialty license plates ("Plates"). The WSF can be used to apply for new Plates and to obtain Restyled Plates (a Plate with a different design from that of the originally issued Plate, but with the same alphanumeric sequence). In these Sales Terms, each of these actions is called an "order". If you request a transaction that the WSF does not handle, the WSF will provide you with a link to the TxDMV website where you can initiate that transaction or directions to contact TxDMV or your county tax assessor-collector. Orders for Plates made through the WSF are subject to the following terms and conditions (the "Sales Terms"). To place an order, you will be required to check a box indicating that you understand and agree to the Sales Terms.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, only Texas residents may place orders through the WSF. You may not submit, and it is not My Plates' intention to accept, any information about any individual other than a Texas resident by means of the WSF or any other portion of this Website.
Although any Texas resident may place an order for Plates through the WSF, you or the person for whom you order them (for example, as a gift) will not be able to use them on a vehicle unless you (or that person) meet the eligibility requirements prescribed by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles ("TxDMV"). When you use the WSF to order Plates for use on a vehicle, you are confirming that:
- The person on whose vehicle the Plates will be used is a Texas resident, and the title to the vehicle is a Texas title.
The Texas title to the vehicle on which the Plates will be used is either:
- in your name (may be a joint title with another individual), OR
- in the name of the person for whom you order them (may be a joint title with another individual), OR
- in the name of a third party (for example, the lessor of the vehicle), AND the person who will use the Plates (a) has the legal right to possess and control the vehicle (b) uses the vehicle for personal use, and (c) will execute an affidavit to that effect and present the affidavit to the county tax office when retrieving the Plates. If the vehicle is leased, a copy of the lease agreement must be presented to the county tax office at the same time.
- At time of purchase, required information (Name, Address, County, Phone Number and Email Address) for the intended Owner of the plate must be provided, whether Owner is you or another person, and may not be able to be corrected or changed after the order is placed.
You understand that the fees you pay for new Plates and Restyle Plates:
- are in ADDITION TO, and not in place of, the regular vehicle registration fees,
- cover use of the Plates only for the period of time for which you have paid the fees; additional Plate fees will be owed if they will be used on the vehicle for a longer period of time, and
- when you collect your Plates from the county tax assessor-collector, the county tax assessor-collector may charge an additional, pro-rated vehicle registration fee to synchronize your vehicle registration period to the first annual period for which you have obtained the Plates. Additional fees may be collected to establish a single expiration date for both the specialty plates and the vehicle registration. For a one-year term Plate purchase, this fee may include up to an additional 12 months of plate fees for a new vehicle with a two-year registration.
Whether you or the person for whom you order Plates intend(s) to use them on a vehicle, for display as a souvenir, or for any other purpose, when you use the WSF to order Plates, you confirm that you understand that:
- Per Texas Admin Code §504.103, the TxDMV has sole control over the design, typeface, color, and alphanumeric pattern for a personalized license plate.
- Your order is subject to TxDMV/county approval, and even after your order is processed by My Plates, TxDMV or the county may reject your order, for example, if TxDMV determines at any time that the personalization of the Plates you order is inappropriate, offensive, or not available for any other reason. This is not an exhaustive list of the reasons that TxDMV may reject your order.
- It is TxDMV policy that Plate fees WILL NOT BE REFUNDED once you have submitted an order for the new Plates or Restyled Plates.
- My Plates shall not be responsible for any errors, mistakes, omissions, problems, irregularities, discrepancies or negative occurrences associated with or resulting from the purchase and display of the Plates by customer. Furthermore, customer acknowledges that My Plates has no control and thus no liability related to the legality of the Plate design, plate history, combination purchased by customer, or issuance thereof including the ability to legally possess and display the Plate purchased.
- Whether used on a vehicle or not, the Plates will remain the property of the State of Texas, like any other Texas license plates. You acquire the right to possess the Plates only for the period of time for which you have paid the Plate fees.
- Plates (including without limitation their replacement if they are lost, stolen or mutilated) are subject to the provisions of the Texas Transportation Code. If your Plates are lost, stolen or mutilated, you must contact your county tax assessor-collector. My Plates is not responsible for replacement of lost, stolen or mutilated Plates.
- Our specialty plates can be placed on an older (Antique) vehicle carrying regular registration. However, Antique Vehicle Registration is unique and separate from regular registration and has its own registration class, fees and restrictions. Therefore, our specialty plates cannot be placed on an Antique Vehicle officially registered as such and in lieu of Antique Vehicle plates.
If you have questions about TxDMV's requirements, please direct them to TxDMV Consumer Relations Contact Center at (888) 368-4689 or to your local county tax assessor-collector's office.
Fees and Payment
- All fees are quoted and must be paid in U.S. dollars.
- The fees quoted cover the right to use the Plates for a specific period of time, and do not cover any other fees, taxes, duties or charges that may apply (for example, vehicle registration fees).
- Fee payments may be made only by use of an accepted credit card, by the credit card holder or with the credit card holder's permission.
- My Plates reserves the right to change the price of Plates from time to time without notice.
- Fees submitted as part of a Pre-Order WILL NOT BE REFUNDED unless the proposed plate does not meet TxDMV requirements and does not join the My Plates program, in which case the fees will be refunded.
My Plates Redemption Certificates: Gift, Voucher, PL8DEAL, Redemption/Plate/Promotion/Rebate Code, PL8BUX, FREEPL8 cards and similar redemption certificates
The terms in this section apply to all redemption certificates that you order, receive or the recipient redeems through the WSF or through My Plates' Customer Service Center.
- Rebates: From time-to-time, My Plates offers savings on various My Plates Select plates via rebate checks mailed automatically to qualifying purchasers between 4 and 6 weeks after a successful plate order. Rebates require the use of a valid Rebate Code at time of purchase and are not up-front discounts. The full price of the selected plate will be charged at time of purchase.
- Purchased Gift Cards, Vouchers, PL8BUX and other similar purchased redemption certificates expire five (5) years from the date of purchase, or as indicated on the Gift Card/Voucher/PL8BUX/similar certificate itself.
- Gift Cards, Vouchers, PL8BUX and other redemption certificates may be redeemed only to order new Plates from My Plates, and are not eligible for use, redemption or reward with a Layaway plan or a Pre-Order Plate unless specifically noted.
- Gift Cards, Vouchers, PL8BUX and other redemption certificates have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash.
- Gift Card and similar purchased redemption certificate sales are final, and are non-refundable. My Plates Gift Cards are no longer available for purchase.
- "Free of charge" redemption certificates (such as a FREEPL8 card or similar) provided by My Plates - or via an authorized third party on behalf of My Plates - whether as an award, gift, prize, promotion or otherwise, shall expire within twelve (12) months from issuance. Only one (1) FREEPL8 card or similar no-cost redemption certificate may be used per order.
- Redemption certificates cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, which includes Layaway Plans and Purchases (unless specifically made eligible by My Plates), and Pre-Order Plates unless specifically made eligible.
- Redemption certificates are transferable.
- If the fees for Plates ordered using any type of redemption certificate are greater than the then outstanding value of the redemption certificate, the recipient must pay the difference at the time of redeeming the redemption certificate.
- If the fees for Plates ordered are less than the then outstanding value of the redemption certificate, then with the exception of Redemption Codes, the unused value will remain available for the account of the redemption certificate recipient, until the redemption certificate expires. Redemption Codes, and like Codes, may be used once; any value left unused from the single transaction is non-refundable and expires at use.
- The issue date and outstanding unredeemed value of all redemption certificates shall be determined according to My Plates' records.
Layaway Terms and Conditions
- Click HERE to view.
In addition to the requirement that you meet TxDMV requirements when you use the WSF to order Plates, you agree and acknowledge that:
- My Plates accepts payment of the applicable fees only by VISA, AMEX, Discover or MasterCard.
- The Plate fees you pay are paid to and collected by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Treasury Division, not My Plates.
- You are responsible for verifying the truth and accuracy of your order. My Plates will check to make sure that all elements required by TxDMV for a complete order have been provided but cannot take responsibility for any problems that result from any inaccuracies in the information you provide.
Once you click the "Submit Payment" button, My Plates will determine whether your order includes all elements required by TxDMV for a Plate order, and if so, will transmit your order to TxDMV electronically. Upon transmittal to TxDMV:
- Your order will be deemed filed.
- No changes or corrections can be made to your order.
- Except in the limited circumstances stated immediately below, NO REFUND can be made by My Plates if you decide to cancel the order, and NO CREDITS can be extended by My Plates if you file a new order.
If TxDMV rejects your order because the alphanumeric combination you chose is not acceptable or otherwise not available, My Plates will contact you so that you can select another alphanumeric combination or request a refund of the fees paid from My Plates.
If a proposed plate for which you submitted a Pre-Order for does not meet TxDMV requirements for addition to the My Plates program, your paid Pre-Order fees will be refunded by My Plates.
Manufacture and Delivery of Plates
- Manufacture of your Plates and delivery to your county tax assessor-collector's office generally takes 3 to 4 weeks after your order has been accepted by TxDMV. TxDMV secures manufacture of the Plates from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. My Plates does not control the timing of these processes, and does not control the production of the Plates or the quality control and assurance standards applied to them.
- Pre-order Plates will not be ordered and sent to manufacture until all TxDMV requirements for addition to the My Plates program are met, and TxDMV programming and production are readied. It could be a number of months after the plate meets all requirements before your Pre-Order Plate moves to an Ordered Plate and becomes available for use on your vehicle. Delivery of the manufactured Plates to the county tax assessor-collector is made by U.S. Postal Service. The cost of this delivery is included in the order fee. To verify when your Plates are ready to be picked up, you should contact your county tax assessor-collector's office before you go to collect them. You will be required to go to the tax assessor-collector's office to retrieve your Plates and will be required to sign for them and confirm your identity at that time. If you intend to use the Plates on your vehicle, you will be required to provide the tax assessor-collector with additional information and you may be asked to pay an additional fee.
- PLEASE NOTE: Representations of Plates on this Website and in My Plates' advertising materials are for illustrative purposes only. The colors, shades, shapes, sizes and spacing of graphics and letters that you see displayed on your computer monitor and printed receipt may vary from the actual Plates due to computer, printing, manufacturing and other variables beyond the control of My Plates and TxDMV.
Disclaimers and Limitations of Liability
You understand, acknowledge and agree that:
- The TxDMV is solely responsible for the approval, clearance and issuance of all personalized license plate messages in Texas, and therefore My Plates will assume no liability for actions taken by the TxDMV in performing those duties.
- My Plates is not liable for delays or failures to perform that result from any cause beyond My Plates' reasonable control, including but not limited to the actions or omissions of TxDMV, the providers of credit card payment system services, the Plate manufacturer, the U.S. Postal Service, or any other third party involved providing goods or services necessary to fulfill your order, acts of God, acts of terrorism, natural disasters, disruptions of communications systems or other causes that may be regarded as a "force majeure."
- My Plates does not warrant the Plates or any right to use the Plates ordered through the WSF. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, My Plates disclaims all implied warranties of the goods or services you order or obtain through use of the WSF, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, title and non-infringement and fitness for a particular purpose.
- My Plates will not be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages arising from My Plates' or your or any third party's performance or failure to perform any undertaking in connection with any order. My Plates' cumulative maximum liability in connection with any order you place is, at My Plates option, (1) the amount that equals the amount, if any, that you paid My Plates for that order, or, (2) if applicable, re-performance of its services.
- Certain states' laws do not allow limitations on implied warranties or the exclusion of certain damages. If those laws apply to you, some or all of the disclaimers, exclusions and limitations may not apply, and you may have additional rights.
- My Plates reserves the right to refuse service or assistance to any person ordering or attempting to order alphanumeric combinations which My Plates deems offensive, objectionable or otherwise incapable of being approved by the TxDMV.
The Sales Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Texas, without giving effect to any principles of conflict of laws (other than the principle that permits the affected parties to select the state whose laws will govern their relationship). If any dispute or controversy arises between you and My Plates relating to the Website or any transaction between you and My Plates you agree to accept binding arbitration. Any dispute, controversy, claim or disagreement arising out of or relating to transactions between you and My Plates shall be resolved by binding arbitration pursuant to the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association and conducted in Austin, Travis County, Texas. It is understood that the parties waive any right to a jury trial. Judgment upon the award rendered by the Arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof.